This is definitely a first...

Kestrel's Chance - Harper Fox

Not a first read with this author, I've read a few Harper Fox books as a matter of fact she is definitely one of my top 5 authors when it comes to m/m. Her book 'Life After Joe' is one of the few books that I've not only re-read but I've done so several times.

Unfortunately the first is that this book was the first time that I've read a Harper Fox book and not wanted to give it 4 or 5 stars because that's what I've given to every other book of hers that I've read. Odds are that this would happen eventually.

Having said that I gave considerable thought to the why of it and to be honest I'm and the only things that I am sure of are: A big part of why this one just didn't do it for me was because for a lot of the book I didn't really care for Kestrel and then once I stopped disliking him and being angry with him mostly because I didn't like the way he treated Rory. I still just didn't warm up to the character enough to truly like him or to be glad that Rory seemed so willing to forgive him for being the total ass that he'd been.

It just didn't work and Harper Fox is still one of my absolute favorite authors because honestly even what turned out to be for me 'her worst' it was still better than many other books that I've read. So I'm calling it a bad day and moving on.