So this is where I get disowned...

Winter Oranges - Marie Sexton

Wow, I am so at a loss with this book but I'm going to try anyways. Let me start by saying a lot and by a lot I DO MEAN A LOT of my friends have rated this book 4 stars or more and I'm sure it was deservedly so.

I honestly don't know why this one didn't work for me. It's well written, it's a beautiful and moving story, I liked Jason & Ben. I really, really liked Dylan and I'm not even sure why. I just really liked him.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story it was good and herein lies the rub for me it was good, not great, not amazing. I wasn't moved to tears and believe me that's not a challenging task to accomplish with me. I've been known to cry over  any number of commercials and books, sweet-baby-jebus the number of books that have reduced me to a snivelling mass is redonkulous. Winter Oranges just wasn't one of them. I know it wasn't the premise of the book because I've read stories a lot more far fetched than this one and had no problem investing in them emotionally.

At the end of it all the only thing I can come up with is that for me there was just something missing in the story and even I don't know what it was. What I do know is that in spite of my lack of connection this is a really lovely, sweet, well written story definitely worth reading. I'm not sorry I read it and who knows maybe I'll give it a re-read one day and I'll not only figure out what didn't work this time, I'll find that missing connection and make it.

But for now I'm going to simply say that Winter Oranges is a lovely story and very much worth reading.