So glad I read this one...

Kings Rising: Book Three of the Captive Prince Trilogy - C.S. Pacat

Captive Prince was for me an incredible reading experience. From start to finish I was totally enchanted with these books. Am I saying it was the absolute perfect series no, probably not but overall I got my monies worth and then some.

By the end of the series I was totally smitten with both Damen and Laurent. Which given that part way through book 1 I was pretty sure that while he definitely grabbed my attention Laurent was going to be one of those characters that I loved to hate. Truthfully that started to change in book 2 but by the end of book 3 I was pretty much fangirling over Laurent non-stop.

Ok in regards to book 3 as much as I enjoyed the romantic progress that was made between our two MCs, I have to admit that if there had been a little less focus on the romance and little more on the resolution of the 'edgy, difficult conflicts' (as one of my friends has described it) for me this probably would have been a 5 star read. There were some things that the resolution just seemed to happen a little too easily and while this left me feeling a little disappointed. Overall it was not enough to truly destroy my enjoyment of either the book or the series.

I've been pondering the reasons why I enjoyed these books as much as I did and seriously the only thing I can say is that way more of the story worked than didn't, I found myself existing in this world very easily and the movie in my mind ran in full vivid Technicolor, something that only a few authors can do for me. So I'm just going to leave it at that and the facts that to say the least this was a total pleasure to read and would I re-read it? Yes, I think one day I might and that is for me a very big indicator of how much I like something because there are so many new books out there that I want to read I rarely take time to re-read something but this series would definitely be worth taking the time to re-read for me.