If you think the covers good...wait until you read the book!

Snakes Among Sweet Flowers - Jason Huffman-Black

I admit it. I took one look at this cover and it was lust at first sight. My brain screamed that I needed to read this book and then I did the worst thing I could possibly do I read the blurb...well that was it, I was finished. I needed this book. Sometimes cover lust is a good thing and in this case it was an awesome thing.

'Snakes Among Sweet Flowers' is a book about second chances, finding love where you least expect it and learning that home is more than just a place.

Camden Sanders needs to start over and he knows that if he stays in Atlanta he's just going to end up back down that rabbit hole that leads to prison. So he does what any intelligent man would do he runs until he ends up in Hog Mountain because no ones going to look for him in some podunk, backwater nowhere town called Hog Mountain.

What he doesn't count on is attracting the attention of one Officer Jackson Rhodes and not in a good way. Jackson's sure that Cam's running a scam and taking advantage of the good citizens of his community and he's determined to catch him. And as if that's not enough to deal with Cam just doesn't understand why everyone is being so damned nice to him. From Dotty who brings him homemade pecan pie to Tom the cat, who seems to have come free of charge with Cam's house and garage.

Add to all this the fact that everyone seems to have secret's...Cam's got secrets he doesn't want anyone to know the whys and hows of his ending up in Hog Mountain for starters, Jackson's got secrets...he's so far in the closet he can't even see the light under the door. Then there's the local veterinarian who seems to not only have secrets of his own but everyone else's, hell even the cat's got a secret.

Cam finds his life spiraling out of control as he goes from 'what's in it for me?' to 'why are you all being so nice to me?' to 'what can I do for you?'

I love books that are set in small towns or even neighborhoods that have a strong sense of community. I know it's about the familiar for me. I grew up and have lived most of my life in small communities, but when I find a book that not only has this setting but the author just knows it and gets it right...well, I'm over the moon in love and this author seriously did it right. There was more than once that my hubby had me bouncing in my chair and saying "Ohmygod!!! Listen to this and then I'd read a passage to him." and we'd both be sitting there laughing and agreeing that this was so accurate, so small town life. Don't get me wrong this is by no means a criticism, like i said I was over the moon in love with this. I knew this, I've lived in this town...well, not this town but ones like it.

Needless to say I curled up with this book and the rest of the world just had to either go away or wait until I was done with Cam and Jackson and the town of Hog Mountain. Sadly, I did get to the end of the book and while I would have loved more I can honestly say it wasn't needed, I was just being greedy.

For an author to be able to breath life into not just a couple of characters but an entire community and to do so on their first novel...well, let's just say you can color me impressed. I will be watching for more by this author and am truly looking forward to reading what comes next from him.

'Snakes Among Sweet Flowers' was well worth waiting for and totally worth reading. I strongly recommend it to anyone who likes to read.

*******************

An ARC of this book was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.