Sometimes I just need a little comfort food...

Absinthe of Malice - Rhys Ford

Once upon a time I had this great aspiration to be a bookstore owner and instead of the usual fiction, Scifi/fantasty, romance, geography, yadda, yadda, yadda book categories I was going to use food references because to me books are brain food. So I was going to have things like health food, desserts, main course, appetizers, junk food, yadda, yadda, and of course comfort food. If I had that book store I would have to place Rhys Ford's books in the category of 'Comfort Food' because to me that's what they are.

In the interest of total honesty I have to confess that I am a total fan of this author. I love her writing style and I do my best to devour her books. If she releases a new book I will acquire it and the Sinners series is definitely a favorite of mine. I love these books with their sexy Irish alpha males and their big, happy Irish family and their fiercely determined, independent, stubborn and heartbreakingly damaged partners, who don't know the meaning of the word quit.

For me reading a Sinner's book is like reading a letter from a dear friend albeit a rather lengthy letter but still I savor every word from the ones that make me cry to the ones that leave me laughing out loud with my husband demanding to know 'what's so damned funny...

“Did you miss the part where I said we’re going to do a family thing—”
“Then I’d suggest you let her plan it, because there’s no going back on this, Con. This is possibly the stupidest thing you’ve done since you convinced Riley he could make his dick longer by shoving it in the vacuum hose and turning the damned thing on.”

“God in Heaven, he was a stupid kid. We couldn’t get Quinn to fall for anything. I never figured the rest of them would be so stupid.”

Sorry, this amused me no end, what can I say...I have brothers.

I think the thing I savored the most about this book was that we got to spend time with all of the men of 'Crossroads Gin' and their partners. We got Miki and Kane, Damien and Sionn, Forest and Connor, Rafe and Quinn as they went on tour for the first time. As well as working to get the band's name out there and established each of them faced the challenge of confronting their own personal demons and even though the men they loved weren't with them every step of the way, they came to them when they were needed. Not to fix things but to give them the love and support they needed to be able to resolve their own issues, which is not to say that their first instinct wasn't to 'fix things' but in their hearts they knew it wasn't what their partner truly wanted or needed from them.

While they finally make it home and back to their men we are left with only the barest hint of the next course in this meal and it's vague and intriguing to say the least it barely begins to whet the appetite for what might come next and I know I'm going to be there waiting anxiously for the next course to be served.

********************

An ARC of this book was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.