I have a new book boyfriend and his name is...

Black Dog Blues (The Kai Gracen Series Book 1) - Rhys Ford

Kai Gracen...yep,, I'm in lust love, yeah, that's it I'm in love. I've been trying to get around to reading this one for ages now and finally I made it happen because book 2 was waiting on the horizon.

What did I love about this book...well besides Kai. The author, I 'm a huge fan of Rhys Ford so right there I knew I was in for a treat. It's urban fantasy and I love urban fantasy and now Kai Gracen is on my list of must read Urban Fantasy series. He's cynical and jaded possibly even a little bitter about the hand life has dealt him, but hell, if I had his family I'd be more than a little jaded and bitter as well. But underneath it all he's got a heart of gold and a sense of humor that's dryer than the Sahara Desert and he may even be admittedly a little bit crazy, at least where Ryder's concerned...

"I'm not an anarchist."

"I see you're not denying you're psychotic."

"I don't even know what qualifies someone as psychotic, but if it's wanting to stuff the person who hired me into a trunk, then yes, I'm definitely psychotic."

Ryder's a Sidhe Lord who's come to San Diego to establish a Dawn Court and it turns out he'd also like to start something with Kai. But Kai's not having any of that. He's got no interest in working for Ryder so romantic entanglements are so not going to happen. While there's not a romance going on in this series...yet, there is a relationship building between Kai and Ryder that hints at a possible future for them but it's a slow burn...we're talking trying to light a fire in a windstorm slow and while I'm not often a fan of this slow of a burn I'm willing to wait this one out because I think when it finally happens my e-reader might spontaneously combust and damned if I want to miss out on something that hot.

AND...on top of the potential heat from Kai and Ryder there's an awesome story and DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!! Seriously folks 'there be dragons here' and if you know me, you know I love dragons. So, Kai ends up taking the job for Ryder because hey, money and it's an easy run up the coast during dragon mating season...what could possibly go wrong?...right?

I love the world that Rhys Ford has created with the beginning of this series. It's not the San Diego that we have now it's not even a San Diego that most would ever imagine. The world that this story is set in is post-merge. Somehow...somewhere... something went wrong and the Underhill which is the world of the Elfin and the world of Humans have collided and merged creating a world where both must learn to co-exist and survive the devastation and the monsters created by the merge.

If you enjoy books like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files or Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series I strongly recommend checking out Kai Gracen.