Let's ponder some words...

Murmuration - T.J. Klune

Let's ponder some words...

So in my ponderings some of the words that have gone through my brain have been...interesting, unusual, unique, disturbing, thought provoking, gripping, emotional, happy, depressing and talented (this one applies to the author).

I read this book and I finished it about a day and a half ago. My problem is how do I review it. I've been giving this a lot of thought...seriously a lot...ask my hubby, he's had to listen to my ramblings enough that he can probably tell you what the books about.

What I'm going to talk about here isn't what the story was about because that's what the blurb is for. What I'm going to try and share is how this story made me feel. 'Murmuration' was for me a distinctly 'unique' reading experience. In terms of reading choices it was a bit of an 'unusual' choice. It felt like 'The Twilight Zone' meets 'Mayberry, RFD' (if you're not familiar with this than might I suggest google...is your friend) and while I liked 'Mayberry, RFD' in all it's idealistic representations of life when mixed with the 'Twilight Zone' my brain conjures images that while 'interesting' they are also a bit 'disturbing'. Do I have you feeling totally confused? If so it's ok because at the end of this in some ways I was too.  Ok, I'll stop with the word game and see if I can explain why I read this book and why ultimately I enjoyed it and was incredibly impressed by this author's talent.

'Murmuration' is a story set in the small town of Amorea during the 50s and it's about Mike Frazier and Sean Mellgard or at least it seems that way. But as the story progressed I quickly figured out that there was more so very, very much more to things than what it seemed and this is the part that I'm not talking about because this is the part that each reader needs to discover on their own.

The romance between Sean and Mike is sweet with a slow build-up to it. It's so fitting for the era that these men are existing in. Ironically it's not the sweetness of the romance between Mike and Sean that made their love so endearing for me...no, it's the secret surrounding the town or Amorea itself. It's all the things that aren't in the blurb that made me want them to be together.

Early into the book I figured I knew what was going on or at least had the gist if what was happening and by the end of the book I figured out that I'd known everything and nothing all at the same time. I can't say that 'Murmuration will go down as one of my favorite books of this year but it will definitely be at the top of the list for 'unusual books that I read and liked' because I did like it. I liked that even though I thought I knew what was happening, it still kept me guessing right up until the very end. I like that even though I finished this book a day and a half ago I'm still reflecting on it, still considering much of what happened and the moral implications of a lot of things.

To say the least 'Murmuration' may be a love story, but it's not your typical love story, it's more so much more and I found myself reflecting on a lot of different things...I guess at the end of it all the one thing I feel fairly certain of is that this is a book that each person needs to experience for themselves because I really get the feeling that more than most books this one will offer each of us a different story.

I'm not really sure that I can say a lot more about this book except maybe...read it and if you want after that we can chat.

********************

An ARC copy of 'Murmuration' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.