While this isn't 'The Marshals'...

Chosen Pride (L'Ange Book 3) - Mary Calmes

It's still Mary Calmes and it's still really good. So if you haven't read books 1 or 2 in this series...please go read them and come back. I'm going to try not to be too spoilerish about stuff in those books but I make no promises so there you go, you have been warned.

Jon has been around since the first book but it was in book 2 that he and we the readers met Kelvin, his fated mate. Kelvin walked away from him. His obligations didn't allow for fated mates...he had responsibilities, obligations to fulfill and they didn't allow for a fated mate much less one that's male. He tried to be kind and gentle about it but for Kelvin duty came before all else. I cried...ok, I'm a big softee and Kelvin just broke my heart right along with Jon's.

I just didn't get it, how could he do it? He was meant to be with Jon and he walked away? That's crazy right...well maybe not so much. Not when your whole life has been geared towards the belief that those obligations are your sole purpose, they're what gives your existence meaning and yet, neither man has ever truly gotten over Kelvin's decision.

'Chosen Pride' is set after the events of the second book that saw Kelvin break Jon's heart and then leave. Now here we are back at L'Ange where the wolves have requested permission to hold a conclave.

While the main focus of the story is Jon and Kelvin there is so much more going on and the reader gets to catch up with characters from the first two books as well. The residents of L'Ange show themselves to not only be unique and surprisingly powerful individuals but they turn out to be force to be reckoned with when they unit as a pack to defend their alpha and all that is his.

So far this series has gotten better with each book. While the first book was admittedly a slow start and the next book was definitely better this book has from book #2's 3.5 stars rounded down to a solid 'hail mary' 4 stars. I started reading this one at bedtime on the 22nd and while I had to take breaks because really sleeping is not conducive to a good reading experience I finished this one early in the morning on Dec. 23rd and if there's a book 4 in the offing I'm ready for it...anytime would be good.

********************

An ARC of 'Chosen Pride' was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.