Songs for everyone...

Bitter Legacy - Dal Maclean

I'm going to try not to be too spoilerish here but be warned I'm not using spoiler tags on this one so please proceed with caution if you haven't read this book and plan too.

I'm not really sure what to say here because if you go over to GR you'll see a whole lot of reviews for this book a lot are good like "I seriously loved this book" good and admittedly I'm in that group. So I'll start with what I know...

A huge, ginormous thank you to Wonder Woman & Supergirl (Josy & Christelle) my BR Besties. This book was good, really, really freakin' good but as always reading it with you two made it amazingly better.  Sometimes when we do a buddy read between the three of us we find songs...songs that work for a certain scene or a character and this time we found songs for Ben, Jamie and Steggie (the neighbor and while not an MC a very strong secondary character) so if you want something to listen to while your reading here are the links...

Ben's song... Leave Out All the Rest by Linkin Park

Jamie's song...Hanging by a Moment by Lifehouse

and Steggie's song...What I've Done by Linkin Park

Now about the book. While 'Bitter Legacy' isn't a straight up romance it's not lacking in that department either. It's really more of a mystery/romance so at times the romance takes a bit of a back seat but there were also times that the mystery took a bit of a backseat as well. Maybe not everyone's cuppa' but I liked...really, really liked it.

Let's start off talking about the elephant in the room or in this case the elephant in the story...that's right let's talk about the 'cheating'. I know it's a real stumbling block for some and a deal breaker for others and I'm not trying to change anyone's ideals or concepts here. I'd say it's more a case of explaining why at the end of it all even though I don't condone Ben's behavior for me technically I can't say he cheated either and I think that this is something that maybe needs to be determined by each person's concept of what truly constitutes 'cheating' in a relationship. So here goes...

Ben and Jamie (Posh Boy, I love that nickname) hook-up, they have some time together but Ben made no promises, in fact he's pretty clear about his 'promiscuity'. Jamie made assumptions and we all know about the word ASS-U-ME, right? It makes an ASS-out of-You-and-ME. Also Jamie never in fact verbally clarified the parameters of their relationship he just hoped and assumed. Honestly when it came to Ben, Jamie wasn't always thinking clearly. However, having said this I do think Ben was aware of the fact that Jamie was more emotionally invested in the relationship than Ben seemed to be and Ben could have handled things better with more consideration to Jamie's feelings and having said all that sometimes things aren't always what they seem and that's as spoilerish as I'm getting on this issue.

While there may have been parts where the story seemed to progress at a slower pace those times also gave us insight into the characters and their relationships. Ben and Jamie come from such different backgrounds and their lives at present are different in so many ways.

Jamie's a police officer on the fast track for promotion. His job is his focus and basically his life. He's practical, analytical and his social life is non-existent. Ben is a photographer he works in the world of advertising so his world is filled with models and 'beautiful people' of which he's one and his social life is prolific.

There were so many secondary characters in this story who added to everything that I'd practically need to write another book to be able to cover it and while Jamie and Ben were obviously very central to the story it was the addition of people like Jamie's father, Steggie who was Ben's downstairs neighbor, Jamie's boss...Herself (or Detective Chief Inspector Ingham), Jamie's co-workers Scrivenor & Kaur and a veritable entourage of others. Each with their own role to play and each adding something to the overall story whether it was a little or a lot they all added to the depth of the story and the events that played out on these pages.

I was immediately drawn into this story from the very beginning. There was so much about this story that wasn't simple, easy or straight forward and the relationships were very much entangled with the case that Jamie was working that in order to truly understand the personal aspects you had to solve the mystery. This was a book well worth the time needed to read it and while I felt that I knew much of what was happening it wasn't until the end that everything totally fell into place.

Dal MacLean is a new author and based on this book...this is an author that I look forward to seeing more of.