This was all the fun!!!

Summer Lessons (Winter Ball) - Amy Lane

I totally love Amy Lane. She's one of those authors who are just an auto-buy for me and even though I've already read this  book, once again, when the opportunity was presented for me to review the audiobook and I saw that Nick J. Russo was the narrator I was all over it.

'Summer Lessons' is the second book in Ms Lane's series 'Winter Ball' and as I said in my original review 'I loved this one even more than the first one' which I loved 5 stars worth by the way. So here's the link to my original review...

Summer Lessons

So here I am listening to a book on audio that I've already given 5 stars to...really, what's a girl to do?

Rave about the narrator, of course! Because it's all I got. I'm definitely getting more experienced in the audiobook department and one of things that I learned early on thanks to a very helpful friend...winks at Josy, is always listen to the sample before buying/requesting an audiobook. Trust me...these are words to live by.  I've not done this a couple of times and been left wondering why I love to torture myself. While it's not a guarantee for a good listening experience, it's definitely as close to a sure thing as you can get.

However, there are those rare occasions when I've become quite comfortable just saying 'gimme the audiobook' and one such occasion is when I see one of my favorite authors names, in this case Amy Lane followed by the name of someone who has become one of my favorite narrators...Nick J. Russo.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's the only good narrator out there. But he's one of a very few that I've listened to narrate more than one or two books (actually to date I've listened to about 10) and consistently without fail I've enjoyed them all.

How much I've enjoyed the story may have varied but not because of the narration simply because that particular story didn't appeal to me as much as other ones have, but I've never been left feeling that maybe I just didn't like the audiobook as much as the e-book or maybe I should have passed on the audiobook. Nope, without fail I've either enjoyed the audiobook as much or more as was the case here, Mr. Russo's narration has brought a bit more depth to this story and I ended up liking it even more.

In the past I've mentioned that there are certain things I look for when I'm listening to an audio sample...distinct voices for the characters, expressive voices that convey the characters feelings and emotional state, good accents if there's an accent involved and no I'm not an expert in this area by any means so this one is totally subjective and I'm going to add dependability to that list.

I know the word 'dependable' seems so staid and boring good old dependable so and so you can count on them, but when you think about it, I think you'll agree, it may sound staid and boring but it's also a characteristic that we all look for in a lot of the important things in our lives...for example...our cars, we want to be able to depend on them to get us where we need to be. Pretty is nice but if you can't rely on it to get you to...let's say work. Who cares how pretty it is?If you can't get out of the garage.  Our friends...we depend on them to have our backs but if you can't count on them to be there when you need them...well really what's the point? And our parents we depend on them to love us no matter what, to help us become positive and productive people and if they're love has conditions and they don't try to give us that moral compass that helps us to be a good and productive person? Well...I think we all have stories about how that works out. So you see dependable may not sound overly exciting but it is important.

In this case what I mean by dependable is a narrator that is going to give me a solid performance that I can depend on not to spoil the story for me...trust me, it's happened but not with this narrator.

********************

An audiobook of 'Summer Lessons' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.