Apparently playing 'Catch-up' is my new favorite game...

Sunset Park - Santino Hassell

Before I get into this one let me just say these books need to come with a serious 'holy hell, hot sex here' warning.

I've been listening to these books over the course of the weekend and it just happens my hubby is home...let me just say I'm now really good with the pause and/or volume buttons. I'm actually listening to 'First and First' at the moment and finally decided it would be best if I broke down and got out the headphones before things get too awkward around here, lol!

Don't get me wrong hubby knows what I read/listen to and he doesn't care, but he's not interested in reading and/or listening to every book that I do...thank heavens for earphones or there would be some awkward moments at my house, lol. Good times my friends, good times.

Now, back to 'Sunset Park' the second book in Santino Hassell's 'Five Boroughs' series. This is David and Raymond's story. Initially I really wasn't sure how I felt about David given what I knew of him from the first book. Basically David came off as a drinking, cheating, bit of a skank...to say the least he was not impressive. Happily for me by the end of this one my feelings towards David and about the events in the first book definitely mellowed. Do I think that his cheating was acceptable no...never but as is often the case there are two sides to every story and while David was in a bad relationship with Caleb. He definitely compounded the problems with his choices resulting from their problems and that's all on him, but the fact that his relationship with Caleb wasn't good was on both of them. Ok, so let's just leave this at it's complicated and move on to Raymond.

While I was intrigued with Raymond by the end of 'Sutphin Boulevard' by the end of this book I liked Raymond a lot and I liked David a lot more than I had anticipated. More importantly I really liked David and Raymond together. They worked, they made each other want to be better people. Yes, they had their disagreements and differences but they worked them out.  There was definite growth on the part of both men and I loved that they were each others biggest defenders.  That the biggest challenge faced by these two men was caused by the disparity in their backgrounds this again went back to a very real challenge faced by many couples today and to the realism of the stories in this series.

Michael Ferraiuolo was the narrator for this book and overall I liked his voices. He ticked that basic checklist of mine...every last item. His voices were consistent, conveyed emotions, matched or meshed with my own impressions of the characters, he was consistent. In particular I liked his voices for both David and Raymond (I actually liked Raymond's voice in this book better than the first book).

So needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the remaining two audio books that I have in this series and so far I'm totally into 'First and First' the story is excellent and the narration is superb. I love a series where the books just keep getting better and better!