Another L. A. Witt success...

The Master Will Appear - L.A. Witt

‘The Master Will Appear’ is L.A. Witt’s newest release. It’s BDSM with an age gap and a sub who has no idea what he wants or who he really is and some scorching hot sex.

Ryan appears in Mikhail’s life as an arrogant young fencer who in Mikhail’s eyes needs to be taught a lesson in humility. It’s only after delivering that humility in the form of a sparring match that Ryan approaches Mikhail and with his new-found humility ask the older, more experienced fencer to mentor him that Mikhail truly looks at him and sees his potential surprising himself as much as Ryan with his agreement.

As Ryan’s lessons in fencing proceed the attraction between the two men grows. Initially Mikhail is somewhat resistant feeling that the age gap between them is too much. But as Ryan’s need to submit becomes apparent the two strike another bargain and Mikhail agrees to teach Ryan what it means to be a submissive.

The relationship between these two men was more than a little complicated by several factors and I loved that this was not a case of insta-love. Sure, they were attracted to each other it was a physical attraction but that’s a real life thing that happens all the time. I think most of us have at one time or another have seen someone who at first glance catches our attention and makes our blood race a little and maybe even leaves us a little breathless.

It’s only as they spend time together and actually get to know each other that both of these men begin to feel like there could be more and it’s definitely up to Mikhail to take that first step given how cynical and relationship phobic Ryan is especially for someone his age…he’s young to be so cynical and sadly it’s thanks to a family that’s definitely the poster image for dysfunctional.

It’s this emotional connection that develops between Ryan and Mikhail that added so much intensity to their relationship for me. It’s been a while since I’ve read a book where I actually felt the connection between the MCs the way that I did here. For me it was strong…intense if you will. That first time that Mikhail told Ryan to kneel I didn’t wonder if he would, if this was the point at which their relationship would shift to another level. In my mind the instant Mikhail said ‘kneel’ Ryan was kneeling. It was a done deal.

As strongly as I felt Ryan’s desire to please Mikhail as his sub, I also felt Mikhail’s desire to care for Ryan to give and be what he needed to keep himself balanced and safe.

‘The Master Will Appear’ worked as a story for me because I need to believe in the unwavering level of trust that is needed to make a relationship work between a Dom and their sub, as well as feeling that being a Dom or a sub is a part of the character’s nature and I may be wrong here but I’ve always felt that being a Dom or a sub is a part of a persons nature the same as being gay, lesbian, bi or straight…it’s just something that’s there and part of that persons nature. It’s not about deciding or not deciding…it just is. The choice isn’t about whether you are or aren’t. It’s whether you act on it or not, whether your true to yourself or not. With this story I got those feelings…the unwavering trust and the feeling that Mikhail was what Ryan needed in order to finally be true to who he was to explore that hidden part of himself and feel safe.

Now comes the tricky part there was one particular scene in this book and if you’ve read the book…you know what I’m talking about and if not, I apologize for how vague I’m about to be but giving details would be way more spoilerish than I want to be. I’m just going to say that I’m a bit torn on this scene because honestly while it’s not something I would chose to have in a story I think in this case because of why it happened and everything that resulted afterwards it was relevant and necessary. Also, surprisingly I have to say it was well done and *fans self* definitely hot! So not my choice to have happen in a story but I tip my hat to Ms. Witt…she nailed it…I might have done a re-read on this part…but just once…honest.

At the end of it all no matter how it starts or what kind of a relationship it becomes I need to feel that it’s healthy and good for all parties involved and with Ryan and Mikhail it worked. These two men complimented each other beautifully not that they were perfect…just that they were perfect for each other and I was left feeling that what they had together as a couple made each of them better as individuals…for me that’s how a relationship should work.

********************

An ARC of ‘The Master Will Appear’ was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.