Rhys Ford does Unban Fantasy and there be...

Dim Sum Asylum - Rhys Ford

DRAGONS!!!! I lurve dragons...but I'm sure you already knew that or at least you should I mention it often enough. Granted the dragons are more background dressing than an actual part of the story...well except in the very beginning they do play a rather important role in the books opening scene. But I admit just having dragons in the story in some capacity never fails to make me happy.

Roku MacCormick is a senior inspector for Chinatowns Arcane Crimes Division otherwise known as Dim Sum Asylum...admit it you love the nickname. I do it makes me smile. Roku's more than a bit cynical and he works really hard to keep the world at arms length...he doesn't do attachment or relationships, not any more not since he lost his mother and his family...the man he loved and their two little girls. There's only so much pain that a heart can take add to it the fact that every time a someone dies on one of his cases whether it's a victim or an innocent bystander he feels responsible for their death as well and the fact that his family gives dysfunctional a whole new meaning...one that could get your killed and truthfully I can't say I blame him for keeping the world at arms length which is easier said than done once Roku gets a look at his new partner, Trent Leonard.

Trent Leonard is Roku's new partner and it's a good thing that he doesn't scare easily because partnering with Roku is like being on the world's craziest roller coaster without a seat belt or safety bars and if that's not enough Trent's got more than a little of his own batsh*t crazy baggage to deal with.  He's worked hard for the chance to join Chinatown's Arcane Crimes Division and specifically for the chance to be Roku's partner, so he'll be damned if he's going to let a little thing like the rumors and the fact that Roku's family is one of the most powerful Yakuza's in the city. He's Roku's partner and he's got his back end of story as far as Trent's concerned...well, except for the tiny fact that he also wants Roku on his back or anyway way he can get him.

'Dim Sum Asylum' does not take place in the San Francisco of our world. This San Francisco is filled with humans, fae, dragons and a whole plethora of otherkin or mystical creatures, there are dragons guarding the gates to the city, magic is everywhere and for those who know how to use it...it can be a dangerous weapon.

This one's a fast paced story filled with twist, turns and surprises. The relationship development between Roku and Trent is slow but given everything that's going on if it had been any other way I'm not sure it would have worked as well. These two not only have a personal relationship to build but a professional one to establish as well and while neither man really seems to be big on talking, both men realize that talking is exactly what needs to happen if they're going to learn to trust each other both on and off the clock.

'Dim Sum Asylum' was originally a story in the anthology 'Charmed and Dangerous' so if you enjoyed the original story I can't imagine that this expanded to book version won't be as good or better. Basically I loved everything about this story I loved that it was fast paced and the last time that I enjoyed urban fantasy this much it was Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, not to say that there's a similarity between the two because there isn't other than how much I enjoyed them, I loved the characters in this story both the MCs and a number of the secondary characters, Ms Ford did an amazing job of showing me San Francisco, but not the one that is...no this was the San Francisco of Roku's world and we were shown a San Francisco that while comfortable and familiar, it was also very different from the one that exist today.

I'm sure I could go on and on about this book much I loved it but then I'd probably start telling you the story and really the best way for that to happen is if you read the book...so, read the book...come on there are dragons and a there's a cat. Her names Bob...it's short for Kate...don't ask that's what Roku said and I'm not sure that his logic isn't flawed...but you'll like Bob, she's really special...ok, let's just say Bob's a little surprising and leave it at that ;)

********************

An ARC of 'Dim Sum Asylum was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.