Matt was straight...until he wasn't...Jon was commitment phobic...until...

Pounding Skin - L.A. Witt

I'm totally loving this series...military men...fighter pilots...think 'Top Gun'...tattoos...tattoo artist and a peek at Colin and Daniel from the first book and these boys are still together and in a good place. This makes me happy.

Now as for Matt and Jon...

If you asked Matt he'd tell you he's straight or at least that's what he believed until an encounter with a friend and her boyfriend makes him realize that he was as into the boyfriend as he was his friend...maybe, even a little more so. Matt's spent most of his life claiming he's straight. When in fact he's so far in the closet that his emergency exit opens smack dab in the middle of Narnia.

While Jon's not hiding his sexuality, he's not advertising either at least he's not hiding the fact that he's gay but when it comes to relationships and commitment he's about as phobic as a person can get.

When Jon loses a bet the term 'you bet your sweet a$$' takes on a more personal meaning and when he enters Skin Deep Inc. he discovers that while he may not want a tattoo, he definitely wants the tattoo artist.

What starts as friends with benefits for both Matt and Jon slowly slips into something more and Matt's ok with seeing where things go but Jon's determined to keep it casual...no strings attached.

I really liked both of these men. Matt may have spent years denying that he's bi but when push came to shove he manned up and faced the facts acknowledging that he was bi and not straight and facing the fact that you've been lying to yourself for most of your life isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. There were a couple of times when Matt spent a bit too much time in his head but all things considered that's a pretty human failing. I think most people are guilty of doing this from time to time.

Jon's a good guy and try as he might to deny it his actions scream loud and clear that he cares for Matt as way more than a f*ckbuddy. But it's not just how he is with Matt that shows how good he is. Jon's RIO is also his best friend Nate and I like the interaction that occurs between these two and happily we get to see more of Nate in 'Cover Up' the next book in the 'Skin Deep Inc.' series and one that I'm really looking forward to.

I have to admit as much as I liked Jon, I didn't really get why he was so commitment phobic but when I thought about it I realized that we don't always get why people do what they do or why someone likes what they likes and hates what they hate. it's part of what makes us individuals. So, Jon being commitment phobic for whatever his reasons were was just a part of who he was. Luckily he has a good friend who was willing to call him on his BS.

Matt and Jon were to say the least one sexy couple both in and out of the bedroom. Without a doubt L. A. Witt knows her way around the sexy times and I don't mean just the physical aspect of things, although she's nails that as well but she also makes the connections for her characters on an emotional level and for me that's the difference between an ok or good story and something that totally melts me makes me love the story.

I just want to add one last little comment here and that's about the cover. I love covers...no, I don't factor them in to my ratings that's strictly based on the story but for me the cover is like the blurb it's a promotional tool for the story and I'd be lying if I said that the cover for these books didn't grab my attention because...seriously, have you seen these covers? Do I really need to say more?

'Pounding Skin' it doesn't mean what you think it does...but, you'll have to read the story to find out because I'm not telling ;)

********************

A copy of 'Pounding Skin' was graciously provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.