While Lace was nice...Satin was totally smooth...

Satin  - K.C. Wells

Detective Joel Hunter is on a stakeout with his partner, Trish at The Paradise Club when he first sees the singer 'Satin'. He's more than a little fixated with her and arranges for them to return until the assignment is finished and the club's owner is behind bars.

With the assignment finished and no reason to return to Club Paradise, Joel finds he's unable to get the sultry singer out of his mind and returns to the club at his first opportunity. When Satin realizes that the attractive detective is still returning to the club the question that plagues here is whether Joel is interested in Satin or the man behind she becomes once she leave the stage...Ross Duantry.

Every once in a reader gets lucky enough to read a book that just works from start to finish it just all goes right and sometimes it just works because it does, sometimes there are reasons and you can identify them and sometimes it's a mix of both these things. This time for me it was a mix. There were things that I liked but at the same time there was that intangible quality that connected with me.

So let's talk about my favorite part of this book Detective Joel Hunter and Ross Dauntry. First Joel...

I loved Joel. He's not perfect and he makes mistakes but he's willing to try and fix things. Initially Joel's put forth as being straight but there are a few times in the story when the indications are more that Joel's suffering from a dose of indecision complicated by a touch of denile ...he knows he's not straight, but admitting this to himself also seems to be one of his biggest challenges. Joel doesn't always react to things as well as he could or should...he's human he makes mistakes, but it's not the mistakes that show who we truly are, it's how we deal with them and while Joel occasionally waffles back and forth on his decisions in the end he made the choices that kept taking him back to Ross.

Now Ross Dauntry. I loved that Ross was unapologetically Ross. He was comfortable with his sexuality and just who he was in general. That's not to say that he didn't have his own issues and insecurities...because he did. Ross's been hurt...more than once so while he definitely wanted Joel and wanted to see where things could go between them he was also a little cautious about how much he put himself out there.

For me the relationship was more of a slow burn. There was the initial attraction when Joel first saw Satin at The Paradise Club but things slowed down again when Joel realized that 'Satin' was Ross. Joel needed to re-evaluate his perspective on things and while Ross's feelings continued to intensify he was also guarded as to how much he was going to put himself out there and risk having his heart broken again.

There were two secondary characters in this story that had important parts to play as well one was Trish...Joel's partner and her I really liked. She was honest and upfront and called a spade a spade even if you wanted it to be a club. Trish was truly the kind of friend that everyone needs. She was willing to give Joel the hard truths. The other character was Ross's roommate, Helena, whom I liked until she crossed that line...the line that says 'you've gone from good friend to meddling biotch'. While Helena's heart was probably in the right place her actions were not.

Now the other thing that I liked was Joel and Ross together. These men were hot, seriously hot. It's been a while since an author has made me squirm in my seat and trust me when I say K. C. Wells made me squirm more than a little bit. This author not only knows how to write the sexy times but she put the emotional connection there for me as well. I love it when an author can write a scene that's not just about the sex but adds the feelings that take it from 'having sex' to 'making love', I know it sounds cliche but it's the best way that I can explain the difference to me.

'Lace' was the first book in this series and I like it. It was definitely ok...but with 'Satin' things have stepped up for me and I know I plan on being around to see what K. C. Wells has in store for us in 'Silk' the third book in Ms Wells 'A Material World' series.

********************

An ARC of 'Satin' was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.