It's said that 'we should start as we mean to go on'...

The Heart of the Lost Star - Megan Derr

It's said that 'we should start as we mean to go on'...

So that's what I'm going to do. From the first book my reviews have started at the cover and this one is no different. Seriously, these are some of the most beautiful book covers that I've seen in a very long time. While each cover is uniquely beautiful. They are also tied to each other by how their similarities. it's a thing that I tend to notice about book covers and while the book cover isn't a factor when I'm rating a book, when it's as beautiful as these I like to give them the admiration they so richly deserve.

'The Heart of the Lost Star' is once again set in the world of Harken and while we've met both Kamir and Jaden briefly in previous books, mainly 'The Pirates of Fathoms Deep'. Those glimpses were brief and gave us very little information about either of this books MCs. Kamir is the youngest and sadly mistreated son of some minor nobles and in this third book we find out the full extend of how hard Kamir's life has been and how strong Kamir truly is.

Kamir has suffered abuse at the hands of his parents...mostly verbal and emotional, it would seem but that can be every bit as damaging, sometimes even more so than physical and this was compounded by marriage to Theoren, an abusive man who had no problem with adding physical abuse to the mix. But Kamir's strong so incredibly strong and he does what he needs to do to protect his children and to get himself and his children away from Theoren. He's worked hard to make a life for them which unfortunately has also put him back under his parents influence. It's while living in the castle that he first notices and finds himself attracted to High Commander Jader.

Jader grew up an islander his origins lost to him because of a shipwreck that left him on Pearl Island where he was adopted and grew up with a large and loving family and worked his way through the military to become the High Commander of the army, upon Lesto's departure with his husband, Shemal, in the second book.

It's not until Kamir crosses Jader's path in the royal gardens that he truly notices him and their relationship begins only to see duty take Jader away from the capital for weeks. It's while Jader is away that he begins to realize that Kamir has come to mean so much more to him than a dalliance of a night or two.

Megan Derr has once again worked her magic to create the Kingdom of Harken and the people who reside within it's realms creating a story that's intricately woven giving it depth and texture to both capture and hold the reader's attention and once again we are given characters who have depth and personality and are very likable.

Fantasy is my catnip but I have to admit I am one picky soul when it comes to fantasy and I have a very small list of books on my go to list when I want to read a fantasy novel and with this book Megan Derr has ensured this series has a permanent place on that list.

'The Heart of the Lost Star' is a book readers biggest quandary...it's that book that you can't put down and yet at the same time you are praying that it will never end...all the while knowing that 'all good things do come to an end'...that is until the next book is released.

********************

An ARC of 'The Heart of the Lost Star' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.