“…Nothing worth anything was ever easy…”

First Season - V.L. Locey, R.J. Scott

And for Layton Foxx and Adler Lockhart it’s going to be an uphill battle. Layton’s a spin doctor, PR troubleshooter…whatever title you want to use he’s the man you need when things are going FUBAR for you and/or your organization. He comes in and does damage control, makes a plan and fixes things, handles the media. He’s all about the success both for his clients and himself but don’t make it personal he doesn’t do personal. His past has taught him where that road leads and it’s a trip he doesn’t want to take again any time soon or ever. But he’s not a coward by any means either and letting his past rule his future isn’t something he’s prepared to do.

Adler’s had life handed to him on a silver tray. The best of everything…cars, homes, schools, whatever he’s wanted…whatever’s kept him out of his parent’s lives because they don’t do kids. Adler’s grown up feeling like he’s never good enough, no matter what he’s done, it’s not enough to get him the love he wants from his parents and it’s left him feeling more than a little inadequate about himself so he tries to fill the void with his gruff joking exterior and following his parent’s role model that ‘love comes in a box with a fancy price tag’. Adler for me was like that puppy you see when you enter the pound the one that looks at you with hope and optimism in his eyes because each new person that enters his world is another opportunity to find his place, but it’s not until he encounters Layton that he begins to learn that it’s not about finding your place in the world it’s about creating something new…(I admit it, you’ll have to read the story to fully understand this quote and how it came to be.)

“I want to be paint with you.”

“Oh…kay. I want to be paint with you too?”

A raspy, coughing laugh rolled out of me. “Cool. We’re going to make one truly vibrant and unique color, Layton.”

On the surface, this is probably one of the most unlikely pairings that I’ve encountered in a while but at the end of it all, it’s also one of the sweetest.

I really enjoyed ‘Changing Lines’ the first story in this series and with this story while we have new MCs in Layton and Adler and they really are the focus of the story we also get more about Jared and Tennant, which I really liked since they’re story really isn’t finished. I have to admit I’m more than a little impressed with how well balanced this story is the events of the story that pertain to Jared and Tennant neither overwhelm nor get lost in what’s developing between Layton and Adler and if you pay close attention the groundwork is laid for the next book in this series.

So far I’m a fan of the characters we’ve been given…not just the MCs, there are lot of awesome secondary characters in these stories…Adler’s best friend Apollo was intriguing, I love Landry’s family. They were big and loud and in your face protective of him and with good reason and all the players that we get little glimpses of both from the Railers and other teams.

While I’m not a huge fan of sports themed stories this series was just too tempting to resist. It’s hockey and I am Canadian…so the least I could do was give it a try, right? But what’s got me wanting more isn’t the hockey it’s the wonderful stories that the writing team of R.J. Scott & V.L. Locey have produced. I can’t wait to see what’s ahead for this team because so far it looks like the Harrisburg Railers are shaping up to be a winning team.

********************

An ARC of ‘First Season’ was graciously provided by the authors in exchange for an honest review.