There's a first time for everything...

Owned by the Sea - L.M. Somerton

"Owned by the Sea" is my first time reading this author and overall, I really liked the story that I was given, I loved the setting...a small fishing village on the English coast, I liked both of the MCs...Jonty and Jed worked as a couple for me and then there was Marmite...what an awesome dog.

Ok, I have to do a little bit of a rant about this dog. If you've never seen a Newfoundland dog seriously google is your friend. These dogs are huge...we're talking BIG!!! and beautiful and of course as pups they're adorable because let's face it have you ever seen an ugly puppy? Anyways, I loved Marmite he was just a really cool dog and an awesome addition to this story and yes, I might be a little partial to these gentle giants because like me they are Canadian...hence the dogs breed name of 'Newfoundland'...they're named for where they originated. Ok, that's my little tribute to Marmite and there was another dog that came along later in the story, but you'll have to read the book to find out about this cutie.

After being rescued from the sea the only survivor of the storm that took the lives of his parents and sister, Jonty remains at his families home on the edge of the village hiding from the world...it's been nearly a year since the storm that shattered Jonty's world and after a year living with survivor's guilt in a self imposed exile and painting the sea in a form of penance for having lived Jonty realizes that what he wants is to do something to honor his family and to figure out how to live again.

Jed's been attracted to Jonty since he first laid eyes on him but when you're pulling an unconscious man from the water during a storm that's neither the time to think or act on said attractions. So, Jed's kept his distance not wanting to be a reminder of what was unquestionably the worst day in Jonty's life. But when Jonty comes up with the idea of an art auction as a way to honor his parents and thank the lifeboat team that saved him, Jed's no longer able to keep his distance and agrees to work with Jonty.

So far it's all good right? I mean seriously I was loving this and I was feeling the connection between Jed and Jonty as it began to form. Unfortunately things went from getting to know you to 'getting to know you' way to fast for me and I got a little more lost when Jed first introduced the idea of a BDSM relationship to Jonty and my impression was that while Jonty may have been familiar with this idea it wasn't a life style that he'd ever actually taken part in and even though Jed's put forth as a Dom for me at best these two men were playing at a D/s relationship but not actually having one. I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on this lifestyle and I'm simply explaining the impression that I was left with and truthfully, I didn't have a problem with whether or not this was an actual BDSM relationship or two men 'playing at it'. It really doesn't matter to me but what I found really distracting was how quickly things progressed for me it just didn't feel right and yet...now here's where we get to the part that's a real first for me...

I've read stories where even though I can see a couple as a pair, I just don't feel the connection or where I just can't see it at all...it just doesn't work for me but I can honestly say that I can't think of one story that I've read where I get the connection and I can feel it, I like the pairing and they work for me as a couple except...well, except for when the sex comes into it and that's what's happening here. When Jonty and Jed are interacting together I get it I see them and really like them as a couple and the minute the clothes come off...I get a disconnect and I honestly think it's just that I need this to happen a little slower...I can't say for sure but that's what makes sense for me so I'm going with that.

Anyways aside from this little detail I found this story to be very enjoyable and while I'm not opposed to sexy times in my stories this turned out to be one of those times when less for me would have been more...less sex...more stars...who knew this could be a thing.

L.M. Somerton is an author that I've been wanting to read for some time now and I might have a few titles written by this author waiting on my TBR list and one thing that I've learned over the years is that more often than not one book for me does not an author make. I got a story from this book that held my interest and I enjoyed, I got to spend time on the English coast in a small fishing village with characters and a couple of adorable dogs that I really liked.

*************************

An ARC of “Owned by the Sea” was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.