Unfortunately this one didn’t exactly have me holding my breath…

Like Breathing - Tia Fielding

Devin Rice may not have gotten off to a great start in this world but sometimes Karma can be kind for him it was. He’s got a set of awesome adoptive parents and a brother who he loves and who loves him…enough that they live as roommates. He works for his dad’s video company as a coder and all in all things are pretty good. But Devin also has some issues he’s got a bit of social anxiety going on and his romance life is pretty much non-existent, at the moment, but that’s all about to change when Devin agrees to deliver an assignment for his brother to his mentor and professor…Seth Kent.

Seth is older but he’s also brilliant and gorgeous and pushes more buttons than even Seth knew he had and he’s also in a relationship with…an older man…enter Leaf, yep, that’s his name ‘Leaf’ like the things you find on trees. So awkward moment, right? Nope, because Leaf’s all good with Seth’s attraction and when he meets Dev…well he not only understands the attraction, he quickly comes to realize that he shares his partner’s attraction to Devin. Thanks to his work with rescue dogs Leaf’s frequently gone from their home and while Dev had the good fortune to be adopted by a loving couple who gave him a wonderful childhood and home…Leaf, not so much and while he survived his childhood and all things considered turned out to be pretty awesome, it left him with a bit of a different outlook no life where some things are concerned.

I have to admit I was more than a little intrigued by the blurb and willing to venture into the story and things started out not to badly. I liked the first part of the book things between Dev and Seth started out fairly well and held a lot of promise and then we met Leaf…and that’s where the story fell apart for me. Don’t get me wrong I liked the characters all 7 of them…wait, what? 7 you say? Where did we get the number 7 from? Oh that’s easy…sit back and I’ll explain…

Ok, so you know who 3 of the characters are right? Devin, Seth and Leaf but somewhere early on…as in right around the time we meet Leaf we also meet…Husky, Grace and Missy and later on we meet Weasley (and any good Harry Potter fan will get this name and why he has it) and that makes lucky number 7…do you see where I’m going here? Because if you don’t than let me spell this out for you…I love dogs, hell I have one. He’s my fur-baby and I love cats I don’t have any right now but that’s not a reflection of how I feel…trust me on that one. Anyways back to the story and how things went sideways for me. Shortly after Leaf came into the picture I announced to my hubby… “It’s a little weird that I’m starting to feel like I know more about the animals in this story than a dog that I’ve lived with for 6 years.” so yeah, that was my first clue that we were heading sideways and unfortunately it became an ongoing problem for the remainder of the story. Pretty much without fail whatever was happening events consistently drifted back around to the dogs and one unfortunate little ginger kitten.

Ultimately there was a lot about this story that I like or could have potentially liked if I could have had more people time and less rescue dog story. It’s not that I didn’t like the dogs not even close I just needed them not to be in the foreground of the story so much and more a part of the background that helped to flesh out the main story which should have been about the relationship development between Dev and Seth and Dev and Leaf and ultimately between Dev, Seth and Leaf and for me when something else in a story keeps pulling my focus away from what’s suppose to be the core of the story than well…it’s a distraction and not an enhancement of what I thought I was going to be reading about and honestly, it eventually becomes a bit annoying.

At the end of it all what should have been a story about two men in a relationship (Seth & Leaf) meeting and taking a third man (Dev) into their lives and their hearts got overshadowed by 3 dogs and a cat and at times started to feel like a PSA for rescue dogs. So, if you like dogs…I mean really, really, really like dogs you’ll probably like that, but for me, while I do like dogs, it just became distracting and a little bit annoying.

************************

An ARC of “Like Breathing” was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.