Where do I begin, to tell the story...

Memorizing You - Dan Skinner

Flower Power, Woodstock, maryjane, free love, love child, love ins, sit ins, the stones, stoned, bellbottom jeans, mini skirts, 45's, LP's, 8 tracks, Richard Nixon, VietNam the list could go on and on. This is also the era that gave us the classic movie 'Love Story' with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal.

This is the setting used for what to me will be one of the most memorable love stories I will ever read, Memorizing You is for those of us who belong to that generation a love story sprinkled with memories of our own. The 60's & 70's were to say the least a time of change and growth. The story of David & Ryan is that, two people growing and finding themselves in the world, finding each other and falling in love in spite of the odds. They bring out the best in each other and in those around them. Truly love at it's best. When it's right, when love is truly and absolutely right between two people that is what it does.

Unfortunately for David & Ryan not everyone was able to understand this. Sometimes the people we should be able to depend on without fail are the ones who betray us the most.

Probably like so many other people who have read this book I wanted a different ending than what I got, but in doing so I don't believe I would have gotten the story that so strongly touched my heart. Throughout the telling of this story I came to love David and Ryan as individuals and as a couple they were beautiful together.

David's parents were what parents should be, they loved him unconditionally. It didn't matter whether or not they fully understood his feelings. They simply loved him and were there for him. Ryan's parents were flawed. His mother tried in her own way, but in the end she failed Ryan by keeping from him what he needed most and his father, Ryan's father was the poster child for how not to parent, if it is possible to truly hate a character in a book I hated him.

Along with Ryan, David & their parents this book was filled with a wonderful, colourful cast of characters. Each a delight to discover in their own way and each adding a layer of color to this story.

To Kol Anderson, I would like to say thank you for recommending this book to me. I might have otherwise overlooked it and that would have been a mistake on my part. To Dan Skinner thank you for sharing this beautiful, touching story that made me both laugh and cry as I traveled back in time with David and Ryan.

I wanted to finish this review with something really special that would make people understand what an incredibly beautiful story this is and realized that those words have already been written I don't need to write them just add them:

"Where Do I Begin? (Theme From Love Story)"
Lyrics by Carl Sigman (and slightly modified by me)

Where do I begin
To tell the story of how great a love can be
The sweet love story that is older than the sea
The simple truth about the love he brings to me
Where do I start

With his first hello
He gave a meaning to this empty world of mine
There'd never be another love, another time
He came into my life and made the living fine
He fills my heart

He fills my heart with his special things
With angel songs, with wild imaginings
He fills my soul with so much love
That any where I go, I'm never lonely
With him along who could be lonely
I reach for his hand, it's always there

How long does it last