“How do I stay?” Charlie asked in the smallest voice I’d ever heard from a grown man.

Keep It Clean: Time to Wash Up - Cecilia Minden

“How do I stay with him, knowing he isn’t enough? How do I tell him he isn’t enough and not crush him completely?”

4.5 beautiful, bright shining stars. This book was so not what I thought it would be. It blindsided me. Took me totally by surprise and broke my heart. This story had 3 MC's, each of them having been a part of the foster care system. Each of them having a different experience and coming out of it with their own strengths and weaknesses.

These three men come together in a fashion, but their first meeting is fraught with stress, anxiety, misunderstandings, miscommunications until Kelly finally uses a family emergency to return to his foster father’s home and help out. He uses this time to try and sort out his feelings and figure out where he belongs in this unique relationship that he has started with Charlie and Mal. Finally returning to them, in the hopes of having found the place where he belongs, where his heart tells him he wants to be.

I loved how this story unfolded, the dynamics were so layered and complex. The give and take between these three men as they struggle to reform the relationship between Malcolm and Charlie to include Kelly and give each of them what they need.

He smiled and nodded. “It’s a hard, hard thing to let go of mine and me and think our and us.”

“I want to be able to do that.”

There was no big steamy sex scene at the end of this book, no  HEA or a HFN, but  a promise. A promise of what might be, what could be, what would be.