I've already waited 5 years. Please let it be the end of April now, please.

The Death Factory - Greg Iles

Wow, I know I said it's been 5 years since Mr. Iles has published anything and I have so missed his works. This story is a novella that fills the time gap between his last book, The Devil's Punchbowl, and the one coming out at the end of April, Natchez Burning and it was such an incredible short read, about 100 pages.

I made it to page 2 before I started with the tears and there were very few dry eye moments for me until the end of the story. This novella offers so much background and more detail about the MC's (Penn Cage) past. One would assume this was boring, it was anything but and I loved every word. I wish I could somehow even begin to do justice to the feels that I get from this book, but I honestly don't even know where to begin. So I'll just say if I was stranded on an island and could only have one author's books without hesitation Greg Iles because I could read them all a hundred times and I know I would find something new each time.

Penn Cage has been my book crush for years now and if anything I am even more enchanted with him than I was before. Greg Iles writes characters that just come to life for me. I want to meet Penn, have coffee with him and his daughter, even his fiancée Caitlin. I really wanted to hate her but I can't she's right for him, I honestly like them together. Penn's father, I love this man. He's the kind of dad we all want and his mother. They're not perfect people by any means, they are people trying to do the best they can with the circumstances given to them, they are fallible, sometimes wrong. But they are people who try to do the right thing which is not always the easy thing and that's part of the attraction for me. I can start reading his books and it's like watching a movie I can see everything play out in my mind. I've never been to Natchez, but I would like to go and when I read these books I feel like I have and I feel like I'm spending time with friends.

I think we all have at least one author whose writing clicks for us, grabs us in the most visceral ways possible and for me it's Greg Iles. Natchez won't be the only thing burning at my house when this next book comes out, I'll be burning the midnight oil reading because as always I'll want it to last forever, but I won't be able to put it down until it's done. I've already waited 5 years. Please let it be the end of April now, please.